Monday, November 14, 2016

Advanced Style

Just in case you were wondering, the Ten On Tuesday prompt is monthly now, so I will post as and when. No that you were (wondering, that is).

Creativity is in full flood right now. I was planning on making a number of my Christmas gifts this year- and I am down to the last few. So far, there are project bags, sheep ornaments as well as some table runners.
Bit of a story with this. I broke my even feed foot, and went to order a new one. It turns out that I have been using the wrong one for my machine for over 20 years, and it's a miracle I didn't do permanent damage to it. There are so many exquisite fabrics out now that it is so hard to resist, but a small project like this gives me my fix.
This body form- dressmakers dummy- was given to my sister, who then gave it to Miss Mew who then gave it to me. I'm sure she will come in handy, but it really creeps me out. I hope to be doing more clothes sewing in 2017.

I have felt a clothes rant coming on for a while now. You can skip this, but if you know a younger person esp. a girl, she may benefit from it. Or not- it's my opinion, that's all.

I think that we are fortunate to live in times that doesn't really shock all that easily. Having said that, I think that there are instances  when the "appropriate" barrier has been breached, and that, I think, is something to consider when you are presenting yourself. These days, I always admire a well dressed person, who makes an effort, and is, above all, individual.  Fashions and trends come and go, but you need to be true to yourself. I remember true horrors like tube tops, knickers (knickerbockers in UK) and toe socks. Sure, a bit of fun, but I was never very comfortable in anything that was revealing. I always thought women looked better in a bra, because it gives you shape as well as defying Mr. Gravity.

The current trend for skinny jeans (they flatter very few) and strapless gowns (they flatter even fewer) as well as wearing leggings and nothing over them- I am going to shout here LEGGINGS ARE AN UNDERPINNING- NOT TO BE WORN IN PLACE OF TROUSERS!!!!!! And older ladies especially- no one wants to see your cottage cheese bottom. Trust me on this.

So it is INAPPROPRIATE, especially in an older woman, to follow that trend. And don't wear moccasins as shoes. Only teenagers who like to wear pajama bottoms outside can do it, and even then, they shouldn't.

As you know, I am a fan of the linen tunic and dresses, but even there, you must be careful. To avoid looking like an aging Disco Queen, avoid the shiny ones, or the athletic ones, unless you are doing sports or Yoga. Avoid, at all costs, the peek-a-boo panel.

I've jacked a few pics from Etsy of things I like.
This is from Folkstead, and it is a apron/tunic that can be worn just about anywhere. Not terribly expensive- I'm all about spending a bit more for fewer pieces. I think the chicken is optional.
I am totally in love with this dress. It's from Megby Designs in Aussie. Not too pricey when you consider that this is something that can be dressed up or down, and looks better the more you wash it. I am firmly in the person-who-irons-everything camp, but even wrinkled, it looks good.

I would wear the hell out of this. Gudrun Sjoden, of course.

I've also decided more colour is better. I can wear black and grey, and love grey, but colour (bright colour) is happier.

As I always told Miss Mew, whose style is very different from mine, but I admire her all the same, ABA- Always Be Appropriate. To the occasion, to the place, and most of all, what YOU like. You can be Goth (and I love the Goth look) or Retro, or whatever speaks to you, but go out there, wear some colour and be true to yourself.
"....is the rant over yet, Tino?"





2 comments:

Bridget said...

Agree agree agree!!!

Unknown said...

I only wear leggings with a longer top. I have some tunics which I couldn't wear without something on my legs.

I love that you're really creative now - the tailor's dummy will be brilliant for you and when she's not helping you sew, you can make some really fun characters.