Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Ten On Tuesday- Quiche, Lorraine?

The Ten on Tuesday was something about football season and food, and my eyes glazed over at the word "football" so I'm not participating this week.

But food- yesterday I made my MacGyvered quiche-y thing, and I remembered I wanted to share with you guys. It's so easy and versatile and so good, you'll love it. And real men can eat it.

Quiche, Lorraine? (see what I did there?)

1 bag of frozen hash browns
1 package of Sea legs (or ham steak, or what you decide to use)
half a red onion
1 package frozen cauliflower
1 cup shredded cheddar
1 cup shredded Monterey
12 eggs
1/2 cup light cream
fresh grated nutmeg

(This recipe makes 2- but you can halve the ingredients easily)

 Spray 2 pyrex pie plates with Pam. Preheat oven to 375 deg. Spread frozen hash browns on the bottom to provide a base.  Dice the onion and spread 1/2 on each plate evenly. Add sea legs (I broke up smoked salmon on the second one).
Add thawed cauliflower and distribute evenly.
Add 1/2 cup of each cheese evenly on top.
In a large measuring cup, break 6 eggs and add enough cream to make 2 cups. Mix with a fork and grate fresh nutmeg. (This is important, NEVER use already ground up nutmeg, it has no flavour.) Mix again and pour s-l-o-w-l-y and evenly over the pie.  Do this again for the second one.

Bake for an hour. They come out all puffy.

The cool part here is that this is really adaptable.  Some other combos are broccoli/ham, bacon/spinach- and also just plain vegetarian is really good. AND you can freeze one.  And try another kind of cheese- I'm thinking some blue or feta would be yummy.

It has become cooler the last couple of days- which has brightened my mood considerably.  I am still working on my top-down cardi, so nothing really to see here. I am planning on going to a festival in October (not a fiber one...) and I have gone through about half of my clothes and am giving away tons.

I'm now off to pick up a part for my car- the hatch lock has rusted and it's being held down by a rope.  I know, classy.
"I'm ready for my post-breakfast sleep....."
Valentino is very handsome, and very wicked.

Quiche out.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

That sounds good. Sea Legs sounds a bit weird though!!! :) :) :)

It is very hot here, too. It is really really sticky and yucky!

Nicole said...

Oh yum. This sounds amazing. I will have to make one soon!

Chris said...

It does sound very tasty. :)

Anytime rope is serving an important role on a car, I get nervous...

Elka said...

I usually make my quiche with broccoli--I find when I sub cauliflower for broccoli it tends to be watery. But your quiche sounds yummy. I may just have to try tater tots instead of crust some time :-)