Tuesday, August 23, 2016

August is ending....and other cool stuff.

Well, how I know this is because the CNE is on (Cricket burger anyone?). My daughter will be there volunteering with her cat rescue, so hopefully alot of kitties will find new homes.

Last week FC and I hopped in the Rabbit (see what I did there?) and went to Michigan. FC was eager to go to the largest car museum in North America, and it didn't disappoint. A couple of highlights:
This is a 1937 Cord. I have always hoped to see one as I used to have a collection of Art Deco images and this car always featured. The headlights are opened by the driver with a crank inside. It also has a "coffin" hood.
This 1958 Corvette is beautiful in and of itself (check that olive metallic paint) but more interesting is that it was one of GM's  "Damsels of Design" cars that included seasonal seat covers, a compartment for your handbag and retractable seatbelts that wouldn't snag or catch on your clothes.

We got tons of pictures, so if you come over, I'm sure FC will be more than happy to show all 700 in a slideshow. Actually, it was pretty cool and we walked around for more than 4 hours.

We also went to the Michigan Fiber Festival- I got some fibre and not much else.

Every once in a while, I run across something special on Pinterest and last week I noticed this woman's art. Her name is Dee Nickerson, and I think her paintings are incredible.
Alot of her work features animals, knitting and everyday life. They are not "cutesy" but portray lone figures and friends and have a peace and calmness about them. I also love that they are not all sunny days, but walking in snow and doing ordinary activities. Check out the link. I ordered some cards as she doesn't have prints. I am enchanted.

Who besides me is happy to see this summer end? I don't even mind if we have a warmer autumn, as long as the blessed humidity goes away. I understand it's cooler in New Zealand during July and August. That's a consideration.

I'll have to arrange passports for the kitties.

Fleece out.



5 comments:

Chris said...

Oh, her art is great! I have definitely stuck cards in frames before...

Cool about your Michigan visit! You were nearly halfway to Minneapolis - you should've stopped by. ;)

I hear you about being ready for the humidity to go away. Also, we've had so much rain lately... SO MUCH. Everything is green like it's May, rather than nearly the end of August.

Gale Bulkley said...

Sounds like a nice road trip.
Strange, but when it was 21C out on Monday, I felt a bit cool. How is that even possible? Count me in on being happy that winter approaches.

Bridget said...

For someone who doesn't care about cars overall, I LOVE seeing historic and classic cars - maybe the "romance" of it all ...

Now you've got me checking out that art work too. You are such an enabler.

Summer cannot leave soon enough. Why is it that summer can come early, but fall never seems to?

Unknown said...

Those look like really cool cars. It is immensely hot here too. I can't wait for that to end.

What a great artist :)

Elka said...

the weather is playing tricks on me. It was mid 80's a couple of days this week but the temps have moved on up. I sure do hope it cools down soon. Tho, to be honest, MO has extremely mild winters generally speaking. More of an extended fall with drizzles and gray skies. Every Christmas I hope and pray for snow and 80% of the time I get a big no for the answer.