Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Ten On Tuesday- 10 Seemingly Ordinary Things That Bring You Joy

Woot! It's September 1st.  Even though the weather is going to be hot and humid for the forseeable, it's still September.  And on that note:

1. The sunset is earlier and I love the dark.

2. Wind blowing- I love a windy day.

3. Purring cats. You get alot of that around here.

4. Trees- they make me happy for some odd reason.

5. Having my tea in a beautiful cup- pottery or Emma Bridgewater.  This is today's cup.


6. Knitting. Duh.

7. Stitching- lining up the stitches perfectly and being creative.

8. The smell of burning wood, I adore it.

9. Having a clean car- probably should do that.

10. Ironing piles of fresh laundry- not that actual ironing, but the clean clothes smell.

So, I finished my Dottie Angel Frock. It's the tunic style, and I used some Rabbit and Moon cotton.  There are a few things that I will do differently the next time. Let me say here that I am NOT a seasoned sewer in terms of clothing, but the instructions were odd. 

Cut the pocket bands and the ties with a rotary cutter. Make the ties wider, 2 1/2 " instead of 1 1/2.

Sew the side seams before dealing with the armholes. The pattern tells you to taper the arm, and then do a French seam up the side, which makes for some weirdness in the armhole seam.  Of course, if you have a serger or overlocker, use that and be done with it. 

AND... if you are longer in the torso (and your rear is built closer to the ground) adjust the gathers below the bustline.  Also, I sewed the bias binding from the inside, because even with basting, no way no how would I have been able to see anything on the right side.  I also may cut a higher neckline too.

This week I am off with my buddy to drop off some fleeces for processing, and then doing alot of relaxing.  I really want to get back to walking and getting outside, but not in the humidity.
Howard doesn't understand why he can't have the window open. Soon, Howie, soon.

Fleece out.



3 comments:

Wanderingcatstudio said...

My babies are not enjoying the humidity either.. but only because the house is shut up. They'd happily melt in a sunbeam all afternoon.

Love that mug! And cute frock... I really need to get sewing more.

Gale Bulkley said...

Your new tunic is really pretty.

Bridget said...

Oh I like the way the dress looks! Good for you on making it in the first place.

I like your list - I put trees on mine too. :-)

No one in our house likes the humidity!