Monday, June 9, 2014

Waving, not Drowning

The Ten On Tuesday was favorite summer drinks- since I don't drink alcohol, and am pretty limited in my other choices, tea, water and sometimes coffee, it really wasn't post-worthy.

I tell a lie, because when I am sick, as I have been since last Wednesday,  I will drink ginger-ale, and juice. Watered down Five Alive peach- which I usually don't touch, but tea tastes crummy when I'm sick.  I wonder why that is.

All winter, except for a dry cough, I did not get sick.  It's almost worse having a flu/cold/who knows what it is, when it's nice outside.  So I layed in bed for a few days feeling sick and sorry for myself. I finished a book I was reading, which I can't remember what it was now- but before that my niece lent me
Empty Mansions, about an heiress named Huguette Clark.  Never heard of her?  Neither had I, but she was an intensely private person- and eccentric as many wealthy people are.  It seems the family is laying claim to her vast fortune.  She passed away at 104 in 2010.

I couldn't put it down.  She gave away millions, and spent the last 20 or so years of her life in a hospital. I found myself feeling bad for her, as her private nurse, attorney and a few hangers on, I feel, took advantage of a lonely woman.  Shades of Mrs. Astor.  Read this, because she maintained several properties and never visited them.  She also was a fair-to-middling artist, as well as a violinist who had rare instruments (one or two Stradivarius), and had a beautiful jewellery collection, that was stolen from her unoccupied apartment (one of three on Park Avenue).  Fascinating.

On the knitting front there isn't alot to report.  I have been sewing, as I bought a project bag a while ago, and I wanted more, but thought it would be more fun to make some.  I like this shape, and it holds quite a bit.
Halloween-ish, what else?  This is probably the second zip I have ever sewn, because I loathed Home-Ec class, and never paid attention. Poor Mrs. Miller- she had her hands full with our class- sneaking cigarettes in the sewing box room.
I'll be making some for gifts, much like last year.  I have some lampwork beads that I will attach for zipper pulls on some of them.

July 5- 27 is Tour de Fleece.  I have been doing a bit of spinning, and trying some new-to-me fibers.

This is Wensleydale- I won't be spinning this again. It's too rough for my liking.  I am trying Masham next- but I have to figure out how I am going to challenge myself this year.


That's all I have for now- not even a kitten pic as they are probably sleeping somewhere.


Fleece out.


5 comments:

Bridget said...

Oh Lorraine, I hope you feel better soon! I agree that it seems even worse to be sick when the weather is nice.

I love your project bags. I want to give some a try, but who knows when I'll be able to unearth my sewing machine from the pile o' crap on top of it ...

Chris said...

Get well soon!!! Being sick in the summer is the worse. :(

I LOVE those bags - they look fabulous!

Nicole said...

Awesome bags! I love them!

And thank you for the Tour de Fleece reminder. I think I am going to try my hand at spinning rolags for this year's Tour.

Feel better! I hate fair weather colds.

Nicole said...

Love the bags! They are awesome.

Thanks for the reminder about the Tour De Fleece. I think I will try my hand at spinning rolags this year.

Feel better! I hate fair weather colds.

mrspao said...

I hope you're feeling heaps better now. I'm just catching up with my friends after a long bloggy silence. Your bags are very cute.