Monday, December 30, 2013

2014- A Banner Year


So, I guess everyone is talking about the ice storm of 2013. I remember the one in 1998 whereby I slid sideways down a gravel driveway in my Jeep.  My then 10-year-old son had read the drivers manual, and suggested I put it in part time 4 wheel, and whaddya know, I drove outta there. I even picked up some kids on the way into school.  I only hope I don't become one of those boring old people "remember the ice storm of '98?"

Anyway, alot of people lost power, and some unfortunates in Toronto are only getting theirs back today. As bad as that might be, the Mayor and the Premier, as well as hydro crews from Toronto and other provinces worked very hard over the holidays to get the situation under control.  They can only be commended. Mr. Ford, to his credit, brought a catering truck to a local housing community, and got yelled at by some of the residents.  Local grocery stores donated food to people who had lost the contents of their fridges, and you know, people were still whining.  I think it's shameful- because certainly this was caused by weather conditions.  The ice laden branches were taking out tree limbs, it was a disaster.  We only lost power for roughly 10 hours, so I can't complain.
This is the weeping something tree, and the branch is frozen.  It looked very surreal. There was no salt or ice melter to be had in the stores for several days. We stayed in and celebrated.
Missy Mew gave me a gorgeous x-stitch she made, and a book about the making of MTM. I am a huge fan of that show.  Sonny O gave me some Crabtree and Evelyn bath stuff and a Tim Horton's card.  FC got me clothes, books and a white gold necklace. 

I am officially turkeyed out, as well as devouring Quality Street and marzipan. I feel sick. I deserve to feel sick.

So for the upcoming 2014, it has been declared that it will be a banner year. My usual thoughts are of saving money, eating better and exercising. I just won't go gung-ho and burn out mid January. That never works. Small changes and positive thinking work better for me.

Thanks to all my blog buddies for another year of friendship- and may 2014 bring you peace and joy.

From me and the kittens.


3 comments:

Bridget said...

Lorraine - Happy New Year to your and yours, and best wishes that it really will be a banner year!

I never cease to be amazed by the level of whining that can occur in any given situation ...

I'm glad you are OK in the snow and ice.

Chris said...

Happy New Year to all of you!

I think small changes are the right way to go. :)

mrspao said...

Happy New Year! May this year be the best ever.

It is so weird but I thought KC was there then I realised it was Howard.