Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Ten On Tuesday- Ten Favorite Thanksgiving Side Dishes

Thanksgiving for us has long since passed.  I usually make much the same thing for Christmas and Thanksgiving- turkey and all that.  I guess the topic is the "all that"-

1. That mashed potato thing with the onions, butter, and cream cheese.
2. Carrots and rutabaga- mashed with butter and a hint of fresh nutmeg.
3. Cranberry sauce- sometimes I make it with fresh cranberries and mandarin oranges.  Sometimes just the good old Ocean Spray canned crap, which I love.  I seem to be the only person who eats it.
I do have a confession, I stalk Williams-Sonoma after the holidays.  This was 15.99 marked down to 3.99- who in their right mind would pay 16 bucks for cranberry sauce?
4. Gravy- made from the turkey drippings (FC calls it turkey droppings)
5. I have never made that green bean/mushroom soup/fried onion thingy that Americans seem to like, but I am intrigued by it.
6. We sometimes have pickled pearl onions, olives and sliced dills on a pretty plate.
7. Boursin and crackers.
8. Triple Cream Brie and crackers.
9. Pumpkin Pie and whipped cream.
10. Ah, the stuffing. Mine is done with that stuffing bread cubed, sauteed onion and celery (I detest celery, but you have to have it in stuffing), sausage meat, wild rice and lots of fresh sage.  Poultry seasoning and melted butter, we don't cut calories on holidays.

Kittens, the bad kittens.  Last night they went postal on my tree ornaments that I got at Target. I got 2 foxes- before and after:
Evil Howard shredded that poor thing and FC managed to get the other one before it was totalled.
I've been spinning- note the Christmas L.L. Bean catalogue, which seems to arrive in August.
Some Christmas-y socks- Holidazed in Socks That Rock Comfort and Joy.
Does anyone remember The Kingston Trio?


Hang down your head Tom Dooley,
hang down your head and cry,
Hang down your head Tom Dooley,
Poor boy you're bound to die.....

They look contrite, but really, they don't care.

6 comments:

Gale NoName said...

To me, Valentino looks like Six does when she's about to cause trouble.

Bridget said...

Such yummy foods!

Uh oh ... the kitties better help no one tells Santa what they did ... :-)

Chris said...

Oh, that poor ornament!

I love cornbread dressing, with turkey sausage, apples, and hint of fennel.

Laura said...

At least your cats are getting along with each other... I've got a lot of hissing and growling happing but thankfully, no totalled ornaments :)

Laura said...

P.S., your stuffing is the best, bar none. Another one of the successes in your repertoire!

mrspao said...

Oh dear - poor foxes. I'd forgotten how unforgiving kittens can be to Christmas trees!!