Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Not Ten, Not Tuesday

This weeks subject was 10 Favorite Sweater Patterns, and I started to compile a list, but then I had other thoughts.  I was out in the garden on Monday morning, and that and a combination of a spinning marathon has killed my back once again.  So sitting at the computer and making links wasn't on.

I do have a few, what I consider quintessential sweater pattern in mind, and they have a few things in common. Wearability- will this design be worn? Comfort- speaks for itself.  Style- not too out there, but distinguishing itself by color or texture, and last but not least, fun to knit. I think alot of pattern writers out there get caught up in putting something on paper, an idea, and lose sight of the person who will actually be executing the instructions. I have come across alot of patterns lately that looked great in the pic, but once I started reading the pattern, thought "forget it"- they are so convoluted and complicated that you have no idea what you're supposed to be doing in the first place.

Flyingdales- by Lisa Lloyd. As a matter of fact, alot of her patterns are wonderful.  Really well written, wearable items that have an element of style that is classic.  I plan on making another Flyingdales with some Blackwater Abbey yarn (another source of great patterns).
Well, Alice Starmore, who has re-interpreted alot of her designs in her Virtual Yarns range, and I would have to say Oregon is one of my favorites. I am not an AS groupie, merely an admirer, who has followed her design career for a long time. I realize that I haven't even put buttons on this- I should do that.
Another favorite is Sirdal, a traditional Dale Of Norway Lusekofte cardigan- I look like a stunned bunny in this pic, but I love everything about this sweater, and it has the classic Norwegian braid and pewter buttons.
Love it. I've made a number of Norwegian sweaters, and they were displayed in the yarn shop I worked for in the '80's.  Laura had a small cardi, which I kept.

 I've been spinning.....
 ...finished sewing the edges on this Rams & Ewes, don't ask....
...started a sock, Embossed Leaves.....
..and have been enjoying kitten time. 

Until next time, fleece out.



3 comments:

Sel and Poivre said...

Gardening is challenging my back too this week but today in the rain it does feel good to have that work done doesn't it?

mrspao said...

I had to blink twice before I realised that wasn't KC in that photo. How gorgeous your Norwegian sweater is. I'd love to knit something like that but I don't think I'm all that good at knitting :)

Nicole said...

Kitten time is lovely! So is that embossed leaves sock...