Number one- I don't have one. I am not a gym bunny, I hate sweat and perspiration, and I sucked in gym class- unless it was volleyball or swimming. And remember, I DON'T SWEAT, I GLISTEN.
2. Whatever you choose, go with a friend. I walk, and it makes the time pass quicker if you're talking or listening. Barring that, an Ipod is great too.
3. Get the right gear, dress properly. You don't have to spend a fortune, but layers make sense, if you get hot.
4. Try different locations- I don't care for gym memberships because you're kind of stuck with their location and opening times.
5. Try team sports- bowling can be a hoot, or beach volleyball.
6. Walk a dog- they are the best motivators.
7. Housework counts- running up and down stairs with heavy laundry baskets is exercise.
8. Walk around a museum or gallery. The mall is too much temptation.
9. Aim for 30 minutes a day. Park far from the building and walk, or get off a stop earlier. Walk at lunchtime if you can.
10. Most important, I don't know how many people I hear say it, I HATE (the gym, running, pilates, yoga...whatever)- do something you enjoy. And don't call it exercise.
My motivation is to feel better, and stay in shape. I can do stairs and hills now like no-ones business with very little effort involved. Take it in small steps, and reward yourself for all your efforts. Just try not to do it with food-