Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Pass the Hemlock

I had the best weekend ever.  I can't remember the last time FC and I went on a car trip together, but we had such a great time.  On Friday morning, we hopped into the Rabbit and headed to Rochester, New York.  Our hotel was lovely- a great big king sized bed- and we proceeded to find the biggest shopping mall, where we shopped our heads off. Christmas presents, Tassimo disks, shoes- everything.  The people were very friendly and the shops are so cool- everything is different, even the grocery stores.

We ate dinner at Applebee's- I had a Weight Watcher friendly sirloin steak.  Then back to the hotel, where I woke up at 2:30 am, couldn't sleep, so I read almost a whole book, and then drifted off.  I always feel horrible when I only get a stretch of a couple of hours sleep.  We had breakfast. and headed down to, wait for it.... The Fingerlakes Fiber Festival- ba dum dum.



Unlike Rhinebeck-this is a smaller venue, in the charming village of Hemlock, NY.  I was meeting the Fat Cat Knits peeps, but I got there early and did a bit of shopping before the girls arrived.  From L to r in the bottom pic- Alice, Deb, Laura, Ginny, random Canadian and Deb.
Some Black Cotswold/Wensleydale lamb fleece, purchased from the shepherd at Windsong Farm.  She told us all about the lamb it came from- which was really charming.
 
I was seduced by all the autumn shades of fiber- from Tintagel Farm, Spinners Hill and Persimmon Tree Farm.

I also got this cool basket to hold all my spinning tools.

And this guy was wookin' pa nub- he let us scratch his head all we wanted.

Would I go back next year- ?  In a New York minute.








5 comments:

Nicole said...

Sounds fun! I haven't been to a fiber festival outdoors in ages! Need to fix that...

Monika said...

OMG- you were there! Looks and sounds like you had a great time!!! :o)

Chris said...

Oh, it looks like a wonderful time!!

LOL, Brigitte can tell you I spent all my time in Canadian grocery stores marveling at how different they were from US grocery stores. :)

Gale NoName said...

Colour me green! I too am blown away by the grocery store differences.

Brigitte said...

How long is the drive to get out there? Looks like you had great weather.

The llamas look like they're stuck in the 80's!