Thursday, December 22, 2011

From Kitten Chow


I probably won't get a chance to post before the big day, so I'm doing it now, before I descend into cooking, cleaning and laundry. My friend Jerry did the picture of Kitten-Chow last year, and I wanted to have a card made out of it. I thought I would share it, because it's great.

I got some Halflinger sheep slippers.

And this totally cool Emma Bridgewater jug. It's huge. My friends at Say Tea on Bloor ordered it for me. Every time I look at it, I smile like a fool. It just makes me SO HAPPY!

Have you ever wondered what to do with all those peppermint candy canes that no-one really wants to eat? Laura made these fabulous cookies, and I'll share the recipe with you.

Candy Cane Cookies

1 cup softened butter
1 cup white sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp peppermint extract (it really makes a difference)
2 1/2 Cups sifted flour
1/2 Cup crushed candy canes
2 tsp sugar

Beat butter and sugar together. Beat in the egg and extracts. Combine flour and candy canes and stir into creamed mixture. Roll into 1" balls, and place 2" apart on a cookie sheet. Flatten with the back of a fork, and sprinkle sugar on top. Bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes.

Mr. Chow would like to wish all of you and the kitties a wonderful holiday, and copious mousies in all of your stockings.

5 comments:

Sigrun said...

Will definitely try the cookies--use broken candy canes because broken ones have no calories.
All the best Christmas wishes to you and your family, and a great 2012

Chris said...

Oh, I have a variation of that recipe, too, altho it uses almond and vanilla extracts. And you mix the crushed candy canes with sugar and sprinkle that on top when the cookies come out of the oven. In fact, here's the gluten-free version of the recipe!

http://www.stumblingoverchaos.com/archives/607

Happy holidays to you!!

Bridget said...

Merry Christmas Lorraine! This post has everything I like in it - I'm glad they are things you like too. :-)

I hope all at your house have a great time this weekend.

Brigitte said...

I'm just weird. I love those candy canes.

Is the jug part of another Bridgewater line? And is that a tea pot in the back as well?

Smooches to KC; I hope you guys had a great Christmas!

Carrie K said...

That is a great pic of Kitten Chow!

Your blog is so gorgeous but wow. I have gotten ancient. I can barely read it.