Wednesday, November 9, 2011

It's Not Always A Good Thing

This morning, I knew it would be a banner day, in the history of Chez Sheriff- and it's probably not a huge deal to others, but I got into my size 12 cargo pants- and they're even slightly loose. I've lost almost 15 lbs, with really, precious little effort on my part.

Also, on Monday, I sat down at the sewing machine, and almost finished the top of my basket quilt, that has been bugging me for 2 years now. The setting blocks were the wrong size, so instead of making my life more complicated, I used some plain ones, and it isn't prize worthy, but I am happy with it. Now I have to figure out if I am going to quilt it, or send it out.

On Saturday, we visited one of my favorite places, Recycled Displays, and I picked up this head. I have to admit, mannequins freak me right out, but I love her sweet face, and her twenties look, so she's perfect for modelling hats.

In knitting news, once again, I have succeeded in making myself nuts. Too many projects, too many cool things to knit, gifts to think about, blah blah blah. Currently, I am working on a handspun hoodie coat thingy, a pair of mittens, and waiting for some yarn for another sweater.
For sheer inspiration, I did get this:

There are some really great smaller projects which I plan to make, after the current yarn induced nervous breakdown.
Didn't you just know that it would only be a matter of time before Martha would make the cover of a knitting magazine? In all her photo shopped glory? She has a line of yarns by Lion Brand, which I normally don't bother with- after the poncho fiasco-but I guess it's a question of what sells magazines.

I don't know whether Martha is good or evil, I suspect it's a little bit of both. No question, the Martha Stewart Living magazine is top notch- photography, articles, it has raised the bar for publishing standards. But this whole "everything is perfect" propaganda- well, who needs it? Are we really expected to believe she tends all those gardens, in all those homes? Cooks all that food? Has time to even SHOP? Please.

Holiday time is approaching- and I give you permission to have an imperfect, messy, noisy time this year. So what if you're tree decorations don't match.

Kitten Chow does, however, dream of the perfect mousie.

10 comments:

Gale said...

Congratulations Lorraine! Love that new hat model. Have you named her yet?

Sel and Poivre said...

Hey big congratulations on the the Cargo Pants!

Rebekah said...

Congrats on the pantaloonies. Okay, I just love saying pantaloonies.

Ohhhh, I'm going to have to check that book out. I just wish Fair Isle wasn't so expensive to knit :-)

I understand the projects, I've cast on 4 more to my already too lon gof WIPS. Oh well. There's no deadline, except maybe for a tardis afghan I'm making in anticipation of my nephew getting married next year.

Chris said...

Congrats on effortlessly losing weight! That's the best way. :)

mrspao said...

Well done on the weight loss. That's a great achievement. Love your basket quilt. I've always loved reading ms magazine when I can get it as I love the ideas in it but I'm always amused as her calendar includes things like 'wash the dogs'!

miyamojo said...

yeah, perfection is overrated. I like mismatched ornaments - more interesting.

Awesome weight loss! You're an inspiration. :)

Carrie#K said...

Kitten Chow is so adorable.

Cute quilt! Congrats on the size 12.

Martha, Martha, Martha.

Bridget said...

Lorraine - good for you, congratulations! I love your quilt - I'm planning to take a quilting class after the new year, and can't wait.

I have decided that overall, I like Martha Stewart, even though I have no desire to know her, and though I know that there are so many things that she thinks are "easy" that paralyze me with just reading the instructions! But I'm all for anyone who tries to make life prettier.

Hi KC!

Brigitte said...

Nice quilt! I'd send it out; I mean jeez, it would take away from the knitting/spinning time.

Yay for size 12!

Brenda said...

Congrats on the weight loss!

I like your mannequin head. It is similar to mine. I think when they have a painted face they aren't as freaky.

I think KC dreams of a whole bag of kitten chow left open in the kitchen.