Saturday, October 1, 2011

Hip and Happening

October the 1st. Ahhhhhh. I am having a blissful moment here. It is sunny and cold today, a perfect autumn Saturday. What could be better?

I've been walking quite a bit, and have eased back into the Weight Watchers routine. For some very odd reason, I'm not finding it hard in any way. People eating chocolate and stuff doesn't bother me- I'm fine just eating regular stuff. The photo above was taken on a walk with my sister and friend Todd, and you can see the Toronto skyline in the back.

Today I put up a free pattern on Ravelry for these handspun mitts. I used FatCat Knits Polwarth, shown in the "Nerds" colorway. I had the Rabbit in for service, and wrote the pattern while I was waiting. I called them 4H Mittens, and it stands for Hip Happening Handspun Handwarmers. As with everything, there is a little backstory about the name.

Alex has a friend, Kirk, who he met in Grade 9. They started a band around that time, and Alex got his drum set (which has since grown exponentially)- and Kirk was coming over because he played bass guitar. He's a lovely boy, but extremely quiet, and I wanted to see if I could get him to talk to me, without making him self-conscious. So, after a while, I told him he couldn't come in unless he said I was a hip, happening chick. Since then, I would open the door, and say "what am I again?" and he would look at his shoes and mutter "you're a hip, happening chick". Poor guy.

These are the men's version, in the Sweet Tortie colour. And yes, Chris, that is a pumpkin, and yes, there is more than one here. Have you read about the pumpkin shortage on the eastern seaboard? Better be prepared.

Next weekend is Thanksgiving, and after that I have a trip planned. What is worrying me is that I will be away from my darling Kitten Chow, and it was hinted that he may not be here when I get back.

"I can promise you, I will be here, but they may not be...."

5 comments:

Gale said...

You look good Lorraine. And the mitts too.

mrspao said...

You look fabulous!

I'm sure KC is safe

Rebekah said...

I love this time of year. Its absolutely perfect. Good for you getting back to healthy, I wish I could say the same for me. Me and Cheese are just too good of friends :-)

Carrie K said...

I fear for them more than KC.

That looks blissful!

Cute mittens! And oh, that poor,poor boy. :)

Nicole said...

Pumpkin shortage?!? But what about my pie?

Love the festive blog layout. :)