Monday, May 9, 2011

May Days

I just looked at the calendar and was shocked to see that it is May 9. I don't know why that is. I spent a good part of the weekend doing yard clean-up, and my back is borked from doing all that bending over. I also had a good moan about how I have all the responsibility for the garden, but then I gave myself a shake. I live in a really nice house, in a great neighborhood, and many people would be thrilled to be in my place.

I should be thrilled to be in my place. So nothing a little change in attitude won't fix, huh?

FC bbq'ed, burgers and lamb chops. I made a variation of what my friend Pat and I call the "meme" salad, after the cafe we had it first:

Mesclun Mix (you can use any greens, but this works best)
Feta cheese crumbled
Red pepper, diced
Raisins (or cranberries)
Whole almonds
Pumpkin seeds
Sunflower seeds
Olive oil
Balsamic (I use a fig one which is amazing)

It is incredible- the sweetness of the raisins, and the saltiness of the cheese, mmmm. You could also use sesame seeds, or whatever you like. I pour roughly a tablespoon of olive oil, and then the balsamic. This is also good for you- if you don't use too much cheese.

The salad picture almost looks like the flowers in my urns. I was charmed by the black and yellow petunias-

Knitting mojo continues to be MIA- and this is bad. Pat, Brigitte and I went to the DKC's Knitters Frolic last weekend, and I came home with these sheep. Not a skein of yarn or fiber. Nada. It was fun to see Brigitte, and come back and play with the kitties. She gave me these:
Have you ever seen anything so wonderfully silly, yet useful at the same time? Makes me laugh every time I look at them. Thanks Bridge.

I'm close to finishing the Anniversary cross stitch- the little people crack me up, but they are just representative. I couldn't quite capture FC's Lego man hair, but the little Laura has bows in her hair, and I think I have the hair colors pretty close.

I finished my Shetland 2000 hap shawl. This will be the last one I make, I have 3.

Just the one cat, however, who is waiting for his breakfast. See ya soon.

12 comments:

Gale said...

Mmm. I love nuts and seeds in a salad along with some sort of dried fruit. We recently tried some dried cherries. Nice.

Linda said...

That salad recipe is now on my list to make, sounds delicious! I love the measuring cats. The knit mojo will come back, just let it reast for a while.

Sel and Poivre said...

I did a cross stitch sampler to summarize my first born's personality before she headed off to kindergarten. I so enjoyed planning and making that piece - your anniversary sampler makes me want to revisit samplers....hmmmm....

marnie said...

I like the word "Borked" that is exactly how my back feels sometimes! Also your salad looks lovely. I love sweet and salty in my salads... dried sour cherries are good, or mandarin segments... usually I throw some almonds or sunflower seeds. My sister always puts fresh blueberries in her salads, very tasty!

Chris said...

Those measuring cups are awesome!!

And that salad sounds delicious. I hate raisins in everything other than salad...

Michelle said...

Wow you have been very productive! :) Hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day. The shawl is gorgeous!

mrspao said...

I love your Shetland Shawl - it is gorgeous. Sounds like you've been busy. Love the measuring cups too.

Carrie#K said...

Those measuring cups are too cute!!!

Wow, if that's what you do when your mojo is gone, remind me to be very afraid when it comes back. No Red Queen redux on the needles or White Queen/Knave of Hearts/Mad Hatter?

Rebekah said...

Yum, that salad sounds very good. I love a good salty/sweet combo, my husband despises it though.

Love those measuring cups.

That is a lovely shawl, I can see why you've made so many, I love having a shawl like that you can just wrap yourself in comfort.

Nicole said...

Kitty measuring cups! Too cool!

I hope the knitting mojo returns soon...

Jewel said...

I love the kitty measuring cups. And for your information, there is nothing wrong with having a few extra sheep around the house. I hope your back gets unborked soon!

Brigitte said...

Is Alexander in lederhosen? That cross stitch is awesome! You've even got Chow and Casey.

I loved seeing you guys too!

That salad looks so good. What dressing do you use?