Saturday, March 5, 2011

We Had Joy, We Had Fun....


.... we had kitties in the sun. The weather has warmed up, and we are due for some heavy rainfall tonight. Tomorrow it is going back to winter temps and snow. But that never bothers me, I love the cold weather. Mister Kitten Chow is enjoying the patch of sun from the other day.

The Hyacinths are blooming in the kitchen and the fragrance is beautiful.

FC is in the process of transferring some of our VHS to DVD- and he made a copy of "Glorious Colour" from 1988. Kaffe Fassett is, to me, an eloquent, highly creative and the kind of person who gets joy and happiness from the process. I haven't watched this in years, and sat down to relive it again- and from needlepoint, to knitting to quilting, I get such inspiration from him. He also was at the forefront of bringing male knitters out of the closet, so to speak- and for that, many should be grateful. I have had the pleasure of meeting him on a few occasions. He signed my copy of Glorious Inspiration, and we had a nice chat. A few years later I met him at a needlework show here in Toronto- and he was knitting. I heard someone say "oh, his tension is awful, look at that". I smiled to myself- she so totally missed the point. One day, I will work on my Kaffe Fassett quilt, hopefully soon.

Another person I make no secret of admiring is Stephen Fry. This is the second part of his biography, and he has lost none of his charm, candor, and self-deprecating humour. This chronicles his life at Cambridge, his start in comedy, and my favorite part was the section about Rowan Atkinson (Fry was in Blackadder with him)- and Hugh Laurie. I hope I don't have to wait another 14 years for the next part- because I laughed out loud at this too.

In knitting news, not too much excitement. I finished the Malabrigo socks, and made a pair from handspun BFL. It's really amazing to knit with your own handspun- and I know most of you have discovered this already. I am making some changes to my Fair Isle- and that is the state of play, at the moment.

See you soon- happy knitting.

9 comments:

mrspao said...

I sooooo want to cuddle Kitten Chow. The Malabrigo socks are really beautiful :)

I've not read any Stephen Fry yet. My book group read Hippopotamus but didn't like it but I missed it that month.

Bridget said...

Kitten Chow looks as happy as our boys did today when we cleaned up the garden! Now of course, they are exhausted ...

I love Kaffe Fassett and Stephen Fry also. They are both entirely unique in their own ways. I went to a Stitches once, and the friend I was with nearly knocked Kaffe Fassett down - I could just imagine the headline!

Love the socks. :-)

Gale said...

Ohhhh. The socks! I've not yet had the nerve to knit with my own handspun.

Chris said...

But winter temps after rain can be icky! :(

Yay for socks! Yay for sunny spots for kitties!

Brigitte said...

What a weekend that turned out to be! I'm so confused.

Brenda said...

What gorgeous hyacinths! They do smell wonderful, but I can't touch the bulbs, because they give me a skin irritation.

I've always admired Kaffe Fassett's ability to use color. He can mix them like no one else.

Linda said...

I saw a programme once with Kaffe in his home. I have never seen such a gorgeous home full of rich colours, beautiful.

rebekahsyarn said...

Oh I love Stephen fry, I could watch jeeves & Wooster a million times and never be bored.

I'll have to keep my eyes out for his biography.

Carrie K said...

Kitten Chow is so adorable. Sunshine! Yes!

Kaffe Fasset is amazing. He makes me unafraid of bold colors.