Thursday, March 17, 2011

The Joys of Staying Home

Happy St. Patricks day. We're celebrating with corned beef and cabbage for dinner, which is one of our favorites at Chez Sheriff. I only wish I could decide what to eat every day. I've tried menu plans, and can't stick to them. To be honest, I get tired of cooking, but I dislike eating out even more. You get to the place, you're starving. Everybody has to figure out what they want. The waitperson introduces themselves, asks if you want a drink. After messing around and deciding, then you have to wait, or worse, stuff yourself on bread, and wait some more. Finally, you get your food, eat it (hopefully it's what you wanted), then mess around with the dessert. Then the waitperson disappears, and all you want is your bill so you can go home. Then you pay- you could have bought 2 weeks groceries for what you just paid for 4 people. No, I am not alot of fun to go out with.

Just think of how much yarn/fibre you could have had.

Like this BFL from Three Waters Farm-in Oaks and Hickories. Way more fun than a plate of food.I'm doing the edging on my Jamieson and Smith Hap shawl. This is knitting purgatory- but I am waiting for some Spindrift, because I changed my mind about a colour in my Fair Isle.

It will probably be done by autumn. Maybe.

I am not much of a fiction reader, but this is interesting. I've read 3 or 4 of her other titles, and she's a really great writer. This one is about a plain woman whose husband dies, and she continues his historical work on her village, and Anne of Cleves (Henry the VIII's 4th wife) called , unkindly, The Flanders Mare. Flora feels it her duty to dispel ugly rumours about Anne- and spends time with Holbeins portrait.

Spring is imminent- I went to buy some clothes yesterday. It's crummy how stores only cater to uber-skinnies, with pants having low waistlines. I got some cargoes at Eddie Bauer- but only because they were on sale. I can still manage to get into a size 14- I would be happier with a 12-
but dieting makes me crabby. I guess that's fairly obvious. The garden needs cleaning up, and another year of grass cutting begins.
Mr. Chow is down a few pounds, but we are paying. Boy, are we paying for that!

Good thing Michele sent me this adorable monster- she'll keep Mr. Chow in line!

10 comments:

Rebekah said...

Dieting is the worst. I refuse to diet, I need to diet, but I refuse to do so. I will simply take part in activities I enjoy and if I lose weight, so be it and if I don't, so be it. Poor Mr. Chow. But then we must watch out for our animals as they will not, we need to put Abner on a restriction as he's taken to eating his food and then scarfing his brother's down too.

Gale said...

I agree with Rebekah about the dieting. I love your new yarn and the shawl. Sorry it's been purgatory for you.

Chris said...

Happy St Patrick's Day! That yarn is pretty.

We still have too much snow on the ground to have to worry about things like mowing. :)

Sel and Poivre said...

I couldn't agree more about eating out...yuk!

Linda said...

You have summed up eating out so well!! The monster is socute too and I love how the Hap shawl is coming on.

miyamojo said...

Clothes shopping & eating out aren't high on my list either. Funny how I don't blink when paying for yarn. :)

Carrie#K said...

I doubt the Minion can really keep KC in line.

Eating out is fun but I do hate the part where they hold you hostage at the table by not bringing the bill right away. Makes me crazy.

Amenable Women sounds right up my alley - I like reading about Henry 8th's wives and she gets short shrift.

Carrie#K said...

Darn. Our library doesn't have it. But they do have "The Sex Life of my Aunt" which actually looks pretty good too.

mrspao said...

Cute monster! I know what you mean about being crabby when dieting. I lost five pounds but then ended up on some steriods for my chest infection that made me hungry and consequently cross and angry (I hear you Kitten Chow)

Nicole said...

I hear you on the price of eating out! I'm trying to cook more, myself, but it can be hard and frustrating after a long day's work followed by a long and boring commute. (I seriously need more audio books.)