Wednesday, February 23, 2011

A Banner Day

I'm in a terrific mood. I just took my car in for a recall, and they washed it for free. They use so much salt on the roads here, that on a black car you get horrible white salt schmutz on it- so a clean Rabbit makes me a happy bunny.

I have been busy, making....wait for it.... a pair of socks. My friend had some amazing Malabrigo in the most beautiful blue/purple, and I'm using the pattern she did, Wendy's diagonal rib. I don't do toe-up, so this is a bit backwards, but wonderful. I never did "get" the whole sock craze thingy- and while I agree that handknit ones are superior, they do take a long time. I could knit a whole Aran sweater in the time it takes to make a pair. That's not far off the truth.
My new best friend is this Sweet Tortie Polwarth from Fat Cat Knits. Totally and utterly scrummy- so much so, that I ordered some more to make some sort of wearable. As an aside- you may have noticed the sheepskin background. I was having trouble with my back while spinning, so FC got me this. I guess I can be called Gladys (glad+ass) or Happybum.

Should anyone be under the mistaken illusion that my designs work out the first time- sorry. Alot of frogging goes on. It's hard to see in this pic, but the gradation of color in the corrugated rib wasn't right. Usually, I start from dark into light, and decided that I would go the opposite way- it wasn't right. Back to the beginning.

This week's book is part one of Stephen Fry's autobiography from 1997. This man is the funniest, and most eloquent writer out there. I love everything he's done, and I wish I could hang out with him. Part 2 is on it's way here, so I wanted to re-read this. It contains the most hilarious line I have ever read, and actually fell off the chair laughing:

"At the start of the fete, every time moles had been knowingly alluded to as I Prince Michael of Kented my way from stall to stall, I had pretended that I knew what it was all about, but I was dissembling furiously."

It was the first time I had seen anyone use someone's name as a verb. See what I mean? Brilliant. His novels are equally hilarious.

Okay, off to spin. Have a great week, and a carwash.

10 comments:

Sel and Poivre said...

I find myself smitten with shiny cars in the sun these days - 'so true about the lift a car wash can give!

Gale said...

What method do you use to knit the sock (eg continental)? Knitting in the round got a lot faster for me once I learned combined knitting techniques. Socks USED to take a huge amount of time. It was really slow going at first (slower than a full aran sweater), but once the skill was learned, things picked up a lot.

mrspao said...

Lovely sock :) You do get quicker as you go along!

Chris said...

When I actually apply myself, socks are WAY faster for me than sweaters. :)

Yay for clean cars!

Brigitte said...

Atticus wants to know if he can have some of the yarn you spin from the Fat Cat Knits Polwarth. Because after all, he could be mistaken for the cat on the tag...

Socks...meh.

miyamojo said...

That does look like Atticus!

Carrie K said...

What does that mean? He is hilarious.

I don't get the sock thing because they're covered by shoes! I'm way too much of a gloryhound, I guess. And slow.

Sonya said...

Love. those. socks. I have some Fat Cat to spin up here somewhere. Great colorways. You make me want to go wash my truck. It's a salty mess.

Brenda said...

Socks! They do take a long time, but sweaters take me longer.

Love the Sweet Tortie fiber! Reminds me of the tortie cat, Astoria, we had growing up. From the tips of her ears, down the center of her face and through her front legs she was divided black and orange. It was kind of a good vs evil thing, and it fit her personality.

Nicole said...

What about "Kinnearing" someone? Isn't that a name-made-verb?

Also, I love the fiber pic. Totally with you on buying more.