Sunday, January 9, 2011

BFL is my BFF

I promise not to start off the first post of 2011 boring the crap out of everyone with my adventures with the spinning wheel, so I'll get to that first, and you can skip over it:

Behold the first plied yarn- my wonderful friend Pat came over and showed me plying, and I really didn't think that the lumpy crap on the bobbins would amount to anything, but hey- we have real yarn, folks. 56 yards of it-

Pat also, touchingly, sewed me a piece to put on my lap, and put my initials on it- I feel choked up when I look at it- because it was so thoughtful, and so Pat. (going off to burble in the corner)

Yesterday, we had the first real snow of the season, and up until now, I have felt completely gypped out of winter. But you always know it will get here. It seems everyone else got it- but it came, it came just the same.


One of my new things this year is to keep track of the books I've read- and I borrowed this from my sister. I am a confirmed bio/non-fiction reader, and this is one of the best ones I have read. Detmar was married to Issie Blow, and he gets to the point. She was an incredible woman who happened to have serious mental health issues, and towards the end, she was on a mission to die.
After many attempts, she finally succeeded in a horrible way (the same way his own father did, by drinking pesticide)- but don't think this is a sad book, because it wasn't. Interestingly, her protege and discovery, Alexander McQueen followed the same path last year.

This is such a nice time of year. The holidays are over, and I feel very optimistic. On to another book, another knitting project and another challenge. I have, however, kept the same cat.

Peace out.

10 comments:

miyamojo said...

Yay! Yarn!

I'm feeling optimistic too...
So far, really good.

Chris said...

Congrats on creating your first yarn!!!

mrspao said...

Lovely yarn! Hurrah!!

Brigitte said...

So, whatcha gonna make with the 58 yards?! Something for KC?

Me? I can't find a damn thing in this mess. I think I remember how to knit. I think.

Jewel said...

Yay! Yarn! Congrats. It looks beeeutiful! Make KC another wee mouse. :-) Or, better yet: spin some of his fur and make a mouse out of that!

Carrie K said...

That's because the cat is not only the handsomest cat in christendom but he'd find you. (Is that a religious reference? it's so alliterative.)

Linda said...

Please show all your spinning, I love it!

Denise said...

BFL is my BFF too. Isn't that first yarn wonderful and magical? Do you have plans for it?

Have to keep the same cat whenever possible.

Toni Gomez said...

That books looks and sounds great!

Your yarn is wonderful.

I have vision of Ladybugs dancing in my head!!! I love that wheel......

Nicole said...

Finally catching up on my blogroll... Love the yarn! Isn't spinning fun? I need to do more of it.

Also - drinking pesticide?!?!? Oh my. That sounds truly horrid.