Thursday, January 13, 2011

As I was saying......

Okay- you want to see the latest yarn I spun? Sure you do.

This time it's 108 yds of natural Shetland Black- kind of sock weight, I'm not sure. I spun and plied this last weekend.

I picked up the edges of my Shetland 2000 Hap shawl- and now it's nothing but lovely knitting, around and around. Laura and I have been having a bit of a Joan Crawford movie marathon- and we love the bitchier ones. Anything with someone getting slapped is great.

I finished this book last night. Gretchen Rubin has a blog- in case you want to get more information about this. Basically, she took a year to become more aware of what made her happy, and does stress the fact that it is a very personal process- which I was glad about, because there is nothing worse than a self-help book that only gives absolutes. Each month she set some goals and resolutions, and it was actually a really easy book to read. Personally, I did wonder how anyone could manage to remember what they set out to do as the year went on- so I found that a bit daunting. I even managed to write some things down, before those thoughts vanished into the ether- but I don't want this post to become preachy. This will be in 2 parts- I've narrowed it down to 10 things- here are the first 5, in no particular order, and what they mean to me.

1. Be Authentic. Gretchen's number one rule is to "be Gretchen". One of the nice things about being an individual, and an adult, is that we have the freedom to choose who we are, and we don't have to be what we are not. For example, like Gretchen, I am not a drinker, don't like alcohol, never did. So I won't have a drink just to be social, and more to the point, I'm not a bar scene, or even cocktail party socializer. Somehow, this makes other people uncomfortable, but I truly don't judge others. It just isn't for me.
I feel much more comfortable with who I am since turning 40, and now that I'm heading toward 50, I find I make less apologies for who I am. It's very freeing, in alot of ways.

2. Keep It In The Vault. It's not so much what you say, but what you don't say. Sometimes we are critical and say things about other people to make ourselves feel better. It rarely works. If I'm feeling crappy, I sometimes will dump some of it on another person, therefore 2 people are feeling crappy. That doesn't work either.

3. Don't Hate-Congratulate. You know, I try never to be envious of other people. If someone gets ahead in life, be happy for them. It's the biggest gift you can give a friend. If your best buddy is moving away, on to a better life- sure you will miss your friend, but what matters is that you truly want the best for them. I don't begrudge anyone a thing.

4. Choose Happiness. There are usually options in most situations. Take the high road, or the easy way, and try to have a positive attitude. I don't mean that in a PollyAnna type way- but even if it means stopping and treating yourself to a Starbucks, if it puts a smile on your face it's worth it. If you love The Three Stooges- who cares? Spend some time with Curly, Larry and Moe. ( and Shemp).

5. Don't Put It Off. It will bite you in the bum. If there's something that has to be done, do it and move on. No one likes the yearly checkup, dentist, taxes, whatever. The sooner you get it out of the way, the sooner you can stop obsessing about it.
That goes for the good things too- is there a place you want to visit? Something you've always wanted to try- if it's within your means, go for it.

There are a few more of Lorraine's Words to Live By, but I'll save that for next time. Here is the obligatory Kitten Chow photo-

You told Chris about my bare tummy- and my nipples. Why didn't you keep THAT in the vault?

11 comments:

mrspao said...

Sounds like a great plan and I'm definitely going to have to look for that book in my local library. I've been thinking about my own happiness project!

Linda said...

Love th eyarn, you are going for it!
I have just started that book so will be interested to see how I react to it. I do like your points, will probably make notes on mine too to compare!

Gale said...

That list is good advice.

Carrie#K said...

That is the cutest Kitten Chow picture EVER.

Such good advice! Don't Hate/Congratulate is particularly good. For one thing, why be jealous of someone else's good fortune? It's not as if there's a finite supply. Envy is silly. You never really know what's going on in the others lives anyway.

Chris said...

Those are really wise words! I'd also add "Minimize your exposure to the news"...

Heh! I know your secret, KC!

Jewel said...

KC has another secret which I will keep in the vault. hee hee

Great spinning, Lorraine! Keep it up!!

Pam said...

Isn't it amazing that age allows one to come to realizations that would be so useful when younger. But maybe you have to live through it to get there. I watch my kids struggle with what others think and am so happy to be past that. I like your introspection Lorraine.

miyamojo said...

Don't Hate - Congratulate... I'm making t-shirts! just kidding - love it, and those other words to live by.

You can make Chow a Hap shawl with your new yarn...so he can cover up! :)

Michelle said...

Good sound words to live by my friend. I am looking for a good read to download on my Kindle.... Was thinking of taking your recommendation Blow by Blow. Thanks for sharing!!

Denise said...

Love your yarn. Your list is a good one.

How did my Bootsie get to your place?

Nicole said...

Starbucks does make me happy. I'll have to stop and get them without worrying about justifying them now. :)