Wednesday, December 29, 2010

The Happiness Project

What makes me happy right now? The fact that 2010 is coming to a close. I hope the door does kick you in the ass on the way out- and 2011 will be much better in terms of everything.

I came across this book The Happiness Project, and it has started me thinking about how much we determine our own happiness- because it means different things to different people. But exactly what can we do, what is actually within our power to make every day count?

1. Challenge yourself- is there something you always wanted to do? Maybe a place you want to visit, or a skill you want to learn? I'm not suggesting you break the bank- spend more time in the park watching children play? Learn how to make pastry-

2. Shop less. Maybe, for the next month or so- buy only the essentials. Determine what you need as opposed to want. Happiness cannot be bought at the mall.

3. Spend time with those that make you feel good. Never out of guilt or obligation-

4. Limit your exposure to negative news or television- while I do want to keep current on what is going on in the world, alot of it affects me badly, and then I feel like crap.

5. Stop worrying so much- most of it never happens anyway.
(Laura took this pic of FC at Christmas dinner, and we almost peed our pants laughing at it)
6. Laugh more- try and see the humorous side to a situation, or stop taking yourself so seriously.

7. Empathy- try and look at things from the other person's point of view. Human beings are much more sensitive than we realize, sometimes.

8. Be creative- write a novel, try watercolors- visit a gallery- there are a million things to try out- everyone has it in them.

9. Do something nice for someone- even in a small way. Wish the telemarketer a nice evening-the one who calls precisely as you're sitting down to dinner. Can you imagine having that job?

10. Accept- that has been a difficult one for me- to accept things as they are, and people for what they are. You can't change everything, and if a situation is untenable for you, move on and forget about it.

Okay, let's get to the good stuff- number one on the list has been something I've been resisting for a long time, and now a small dream has come true:
A Schacht Ladybug spinning wheel- this is a major learning curve for me. When everyone goes back to work/school, we are going to be spending some serious time together. I am thrilled.
And my last words for this most challenging of years is be nice to yourself- because you deserve it. See you next year.

10 comments:

Rebekah said...

What a wonderful post! and such good information in it. In fact I'm going to print it out and post it on my wall at work because there are some very good reminders in it.

Congrats on your Ladybug, what fun!

Sonya said...

Great post, Lorraine! I love your Ladybug. They are so cute. You'll spend many happy hours with her. BTW, I LOVE seeing your reindeer candelabra every year. It's the coolest Christmas decoration I've ever seen.

pendie said...

Thanks for the great blog Your points are very well written. I can't agree with you more that 2010 is almost outta here!

Chris said...

Very good post, Lorraine - great things to think about. And I was amused to see that I'd already figured out some of them on my own - shopping less (just not dealing with crowds of people out shopping is wonderful) and avoiding the news (seriously, you'll always hear about the big stuff) are big ones for me.

Michelle said...

A very Happy & Healthy 2011 to you and your family Lorraine. I am looking forward to a year of striving to see the glass as half full :)

miyamojo said...

Thanks Lorraine! #3(cute nephews)& #4 for me.

Someone once told me I'm responsible for my own happiness, no person or thing can make me truly happy. It's all attitude.

Bring on 2011 - we're ready! :)

mrspao said...

What a great idea - wishing you a very wonderful 2011. I've been looking at the Happiness Project myself - it sounds like a very healthy idea.

Carrie#K said...

So hoping that 2010 does get kicked in the ass on the way out. what a year.

But the things I worry about never happen! Clearly I need to worry MORE to have a good life. Um, right. The shopping part is easy, I never did get the attraction.

Happy New Year!

Brigitte said...

I'm trying little by little to incorporate those things into my life. I do laugh a lot more, and I am trying to be more creative. Still have work to do on the worrying front though. I'm glad to see the back of 2010 as well... Yay you on the Ladybug!

Just moved in to the new place...ugh!

Linda said...

Happy new year! I loved this post, thank you. Enjoy your wheel! Iam back to blogging with a new blog. :)