Tuesday, May 11, 2010

The Tide Is Turning

I didn't go to the Knitter's Frolic this year. I haven't been to the Kitchener-Waterloo Knitter's Fair in probably 3 years. The tides are turning.

I no longer feel the need to accumulate yarn and things. I have reached a point where it becomes a burden, so I have spent the last few months making round-table, executive decisions.

This last sweater is whooping my keester. I don't ever remember it taking so long for me to finish anything, and I've not yet finished the first sleeve. As I was musing on Ravelry this morning, I sometimes entertain horrible thoughts of sweaters that will be forever sleeveless, stuck in Knitter's limbo, because we couldn't bring ourselves to finish that last sleeve. What happens to them? Where do they go? Are they lost souls?

As usual, when working on a major project, my thoughts are wandering to other possibilities. I really want to make my daughter a quilt, and the theme will be cupcakes. She is fast-tracking her studies, and will be attending classes all summer, and will be finished sooner. My baby is growing up, but this is a weird way of letting her know I love her, and collecting different fabrics is really fun.
I hope to take a few car trips this summer, and if there is a quilt shop around, I will pick up some more colours.

I am also dreaming of a Pine Tree shawl I have had the pattern for- and didn't have quite the exact color I envisioned, so I dyed some laceweight this morning-

It looks like squid ink pasta, but it's a deep, tealy green.

After I clear this up, I am making some oatmeal blueberry squares. I can get so much done around here when there are no distractions....

..except this major one under my desk. Have a great week.

11 comments:

Chris said...

I can't remember the last time I was in a yarn shop, so I completely understand! That's going to be a cute quilt. And I'm looking forward to seeing your dried squid ink project. ;)

miyamojo said...

I think they end up as pillow covers...

I love those fabric colors. I've been sniffing around my fabric too & dreaming of dyeing more yarn.

Kisses to Chow. :)

Gale said...

Those are beautiful fabric choices Lorraine.

Sel and Poivre said...

I was talking to one vendor at the Frolic who was saying he'd really noticed how after years of buying many knitters are just, well, knitting!

Brigitte said...

Yeah, I'm with you on the yarn thing. I have stuff we bought last time we were at KW that I still haven't used.

(I'm off the week of the 24th...)

Anne said...

I totally hear you Lorraine -- there are so many things out there to distract us - Ravelry has been a big time vortex for me -- and I just want to knit and enjoy more of life.

Your cupcake quilt sounds adorable -- and what a great project -- quilt stores look out - here comes Lorraine!

Jewel said...

Your cupcake quilt sounds delicious. Chow looks quite at home, doesn't he?

Rebekah said...

I know the feeling, every now and then I think about buying yarn, and then I get this horrid feeling in my stomach because i have so much already its overwhelming. Although I still enjoy buying yarn for my niece :-)

For some reason I can do nothing but think of doilies.

Linda said...

You know I am at that phase with yarn now. I don't feel the need to buy anu and have destashed down to one box under the bed!!!
The fibre is another matter though ...

Carrie K said...

I thought that was black bean soup.

My tide has turned too, luckily, so since has my income. I'd really like to get a huge chunk of my stash knit up.

The Red Queen is so purty!

mrspao said...

I have resisted the urge to buy yarn this year. I have such a large stash now that I really must knit some up before I even consider going to any other fibre show!

I think that big distraction is very cute :)