Monday, March 15, 2010

It's All Too Much


Spring has sprung, the grass has riz, I wonder where the birdies is.

So how was your week? Knitting wise, I have done close to nothing. But that's okay.

My sister spent the weekend, and has finished her poncho, that she has ripped back and re-knit countless times, to the point that I didn't even want her mentioning it to me. The final result was amazing, after blocking, and now, she is onto a Central Park hoodie- in some Peace Fleece.

I Indian-gave some yarn, and some of it was this amazing stuff. I truly think it is one of the most under-rated yarns out there. Incredible tweeds, blooms after washing, and a great price. That is the Perestroika Pink, and I have others in the stash.

These are the sweaters I actually wear, and although I have been known to sport a Fair Isle occasionally, I am a very casual dresser, and the simpler, the better.


I took back some long discontinued Rowanspun Aran. I plan on making some top-down raglans- very plain, but perfect for under a jean jacket or a light coat.

My best knitting friend and I were having a discussion about knitting funks. This is a phenomenon I suffer from as well- and it truly does reflect the state of your life. She has made almost every shawlette out there- gifted some, kept some, and this has been going on for a few years. Trying to find a project that will grab you, and hold your interest can be tough. There are times when I can't bear to think of knitting a Fair Isle, or a sweater, and others when all I want to do is lace.

In this sense, I sometimes feel there is too much out there, too much to choose from- and our minds get boggled. There is always the allure of a new skein of yarn, a new dyer, handspun (a whole other world of delights)- but our free time is limited.

We are also influenced by what is happening in our lives- the time of year, how we are feeling. For a hard-core knitter, not having a project on the needles can be a very bad sign indeed. When knitting is a big part of your life- not working on a project can leave you feeling lost.

In other words- too much choice can be overwhelming. The advent of internet shopping has done some of us a disservice. I have gotten to the point where I cannot, cannot, look at any more.

Or it could be, Spring fever?

Kitten Chow is doing his "Jabba The Hut" pose- someone needs to cut down on the kibbles.

14 comments:

Linda said...

The internet thing has caused me to have a far too large stash, of fibre and yarn, I never need to buy any more ever, yet I still do. Its dangerous and should be banned.
Kitten is very funny!

http://leafgreenknits.wordpress.com/

Chris said...

No argument about too much choice! It's overwhelming.

Jewel said...

The Chops is in his new yoga pose!

Love the pink Peace Fleece!

Gale said...

I too feel this way from time to time. Sometimes the wealth of patterns/yarns and so on also stifles my very little fits and starts of creativity.

Love the pic of Chops.

pendie said...

You are so right; I'm amazed at how much time I can waste cruising the internet looking at yarn pron! All the choice is overwhelming and can definitely short circuit my creativity. By the way, your kitty is just pleasantly plump!

Anne said...

I'm right there with you -- in a Spring funk ad looking at all this yarn LOL!!!

Cheryl said...

agree...if I spent the time knitting instead of surfing many WIPs would be FOs. But then I would not have "met" my internet friends. I LOVE the kitty pic....

Nicole said...

I'm with Jewel: that's Chow doing yoga.

For me, it's not the internet in general that makes knitting choices hard. It's Ravelry in specific. (And yet, I wouldn't go without it...)

Brigitte said...

Atticus says that Chow looks perfectly fine to him, and that no, there is no need to cut down on kibble.

Weez will look great in that shade of pink.

miyamojo said...

Chow is better looking than Jabba.

I think my problem is that I like to knit FI, Arans & Lace. It's overwhelming. But I don't want to just focus on one area because that gets old. I keep reminding myself that I'm only knitting what a love. :)

Rebekah said...

Too much choice is definitely overwhelming and part of the reason I'm determiend to get my queue cleaned up. I have too much insanity at work, I don't need it in my knitting.

Knitting wise, I'm nearing (within 2 weeks and for a 4 year project that's pretty dang close) finishing my afghan and I'm knitting the arm of a doll at lunch.

Sonya said...

There's definitely something to the too many choices thing. When I have too many projects going, I'll often not work on anything because I can't decide which one to pick up.

mrspao said...

Oh yes - I know what you mean. I have three lace projects on the go and some of them have taken years because I go off the boil. Times like this week have meant not much knitting occurs but I found stockinette helps when you are in a funk as it is mindless..

Jeanne said...

I do agree that there is so much out there - and I agree that sometimes having too much choice makes it hard to keep knitting mojo going - so much easier to buy yarn, buy patterns....

Very pretty yarn that you took back - I hope you get out of your knitting funk!