Monday, March 8, 2010

Blue Monday


Did you watch the Academy awards last night? I confess, I couldn't stay up, but I was thrilled to see that Jeff Bridges won Best Actor for Crazy Heart- because I love him. That's him as "The Dude" in "The Big Lebowski" and it's his best performance- I haven't seen "Crazy Heart", but alot of the reviews say that the character he plays is very close to the way he really is.

I didn't manage to see many of the movies- we watched "It's Complicated"- and I was a little disappointed- Meryl Streep was great, as was Alec Baldwin and Steve Martin, but I felt that the story was cliche, and the script just wasn't worthy. With the number of remakes Hollywood is putting out- I think there must be a lack of good stories. Alice in Wonderland, I will go and see-that should be really entertaining.

In other news, the theme of my newest Fair Isle- Red Queen, is definitely influenced by the Alice in Wonderland story.
Can you see the little gold crowns in the pattern? I haven't gotten as much done as I had hoped, because I'm still messing with the border patterns. All in good time.In the process of the big clearout- 2 large shopping bags of yarn were donated, I came across this.
I am thisclose to finishing this needlepoint that I started 15 or 16 years ago. What has held it up is you have to blend several strands of crewel wool for the brown background, and it's almost there. Needlepoint was my first real needlework hobby and I still love it. This is from Ehrman,

I have a hyacinth in my forcing glass- and have added to my collection of Spode Blue Italian.

Isn't the milk jug wonderful? It makes me so happy to have this on my kitchen windowsill- I guess it would help if I cleaned the windows, ya think?
Chops does agree that clean windows would aid in the business of squirrelling.

Have a great week.

13 comments:

pendie said...

Your fair isle knitting is gorgeous; is that a pattern you're creating?

Gale said...

Why is your Monday blue? Love the new design. So pretty.

Linda said...

You are back! (I have logged into google reader for the first time in ages) I love the fairisle and the blue jug.

Anne said...

Love the milk jug! You're lucky to have window ledges to display it on!

Nicole said...

Gale: my guess is that Monday's blue because of the Spode. =)

Lorraine: I love the Red Queen! Very pretty so far. Though, I didn't watch the Oscars. They just don't hold much appeal for me.

Brigitte said...

Nah, I didn't watch the Oscars, I forgot they were on actually.

If I had stuff like that on the window sill, it would last all of 10 minutes up there.

Chris said...

Oh, gorgeous new windowsill decoration - but yeah, like Brigitte says, it wouldn't do so well on a windowsill here, either!

I can see the crowns - great detail!

Rebekah said...

Your blue milk jug is absolutely wonderful. But see you shouldn't clean the windows because then you may just look past the milk jug because the glass will be so clear.

Love the crowns on the sweater, can't wait to see more.

Cheryl said...

I ADORE Italian Spode, when we went to Stoke on trent we went to the Spode factory, oh the damage I could havedone but we were getting engaged and saving for the wedding...our tenth is next year and we talk about going back there and to Paris, if we can get the dogs all squared away perhaps

I am loving the little crowns in the border I hope this means you are feeling better

Sonya said...

I was happy for Jeff Bridges too. Your milk jug is beautiful. I'm looking forward to watching the Red Queen develop.

Brenda said...

Red Queen has great colors. The Spode pitcher is really pretty. I love blue and white porcelain. I was given Blue Willow doll china when I was little (had been my mom's and aunt's). I thought it was the prettiest set in the world.

Chris said...

The Fairisle is just beautiful! Needlepoint was one of my first hobbies, also - I haven't done it in years! That pillow is so lovely.

mrspao said...

Lovely fair isle. I hope you finish the needlepoint - it looks great. I have some cross stitch projects that have languished for a long long time.