Wednesday, December 30, 2009

2009- The Year In Review

In reading other blogs, and things in the paper, I have the feeling that many of us are getting tired of the holiday hoopla. Don't get me wrong, I feel extremely fortunate, I have my health, my family whom I adore (despite the bitching) and my sister, brother and his kids- I love them all. I have my knitting peeps- where would I be without you?

I took the tree and decorations down on the 27th. I think that the season's are pushed so much (you can buy a paddle boat and a bathing suit at Costco) that pretty soon, Christmas may eventually begin in December, as opposed to June. By the time the day actually gets here, we've had it.

Being an extreme, all-or-nothing person, I realize that any change I make has to be drastic. Unfortunately, the family doesn't always go along with my wonderful schemes. Oh, well. You'll notice that the weight ticker on the side indicates that I'm going to lose the weight I lost 2 years ago. Having said that, here is a wonderful picture of the last mince tart of 2009.
FC caught the flu that everyone but me seems to have, so he's been laying around with chest congestione, but I'm sure it's more from lack of sleep and not taking care of himself. So that needs to change.

Aside from the usual weight issues, the other big thing around here is finances. While we seem to be better off than some people in that FC has a job, both of the kids are in college, which means tuition, books, etc. At this moment, I feel that if I never see another shopping mall or box store, I'd be really happy. Major simplifying is in order. Menu plans, organization and deciding what we really need, as opposed to want will make a huge difference.

What matters in life? Family, friends, health, some food and a roof over your head. The rest is really surplus to requirements. Just watching the people on boxing day, running around, trying to get a bargain, it hit me. Is a bigger TV really going to make you happy? Still, I don't think the sales figures were up this year. There are some positive aspects to a recession. Bigger is not always better.

I did get some lovely yarn for Christmas, which I didn't need, but made me happy anyway. Some lovely Kashmir and my favorite Whisper laceweight-
The colors are Oh, Ruby and the Kashmir is in Rib-bit. I am making an Aestlight shawl.

2010 will be more about satisfying the spirit and the soul. So I'm raising my cup of tea, and wishing you all peace and joy this New Years. Keep it simple.

10 comments:

bev said...

Simple can be so gratifying in the end. Simple means less to clean. Simple means you don't have to go look for it later. Simple means enjoying the now. I raise my glass, as simple as it is, back at you!

Michelle said...

wooo hooo!!! you're back my friend! I just found your blog again ~ smile, smile, and smile again!!! I feel like a kid on Christmas morning.... It's great to have you back amongst the living blogs.... not that there's been much life over at my blog lately; but hey, you've just inspired me! :)

Chris said...

Year in review and resolutions for the new one!

I have to say that I'm so much happier when I don't have to shop. Monthly journey to Target for litter and a few things, weekly journeys to the co-op, periodic journeys to the thrift store, random trips to bookstores... It's a tiny part of my life and I like it that way. I think it's maybe easier for me because I don't watch tv and thus never see commercials (specifically designed to trigger wanting for things we don't need).

Marina said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sonya said...

Simple is good. Our Christmases have been pretty simple the last few years and I don't miss the hoopla at all. Have a healthy and happy new year, Lorraine.

Nicole said...

Simple can be good! This has been a very nice holiday season for us, partly because it's been somewhat simple, but mostly because we managed to stay focused on what's really important: family and friends.

Hugs & best wishes to you and yours for 2010!

miyamojo said...

Yes, simple is good! I'm glad the holidays are over. I'm learning to say "no" and stand my ground this year! lol!

Happy New Year! Here's to a new decade! :)

Brigitte said...

Simple is the way to go! I couldn't have been happier being with the kitties on Christmas, just me and my knitting and my flannels. :D

You're a great friend Lorraine! Here's to a wonderful 2010!

mrspao said...

I know what you mean. I'd rather have some time with someone than presents. I think a lot of people will be in a difficult situation this year and hopefully it will change our society for the better.

Marji said...

Beautifully said. Everyone I know is simplifying in some way. I wonder if the consumerism of the last 2 decades has finally reached a saturation point, and we're all longing for something more "real".
Hugs and Happy New Year to you and yours.